Hancock Notch, Cedar Brook, and Hancock Loop Trails. 10 mile loop.
The forecast called for rain, but the little lady wanted to hike, so hike we did. The Hancocks are a great rainy-day trek, as long as temperatures are relatively warm and you've packed a few changes of clothes.
The Hancocks are two of the easier 4Ks, in my opinion. Most of the mileage consists of flat trail; the only steep bits are the few tenths of a mile before each summit.
There are ten water crossings on this hike (we counted); due to the recent dry spell, none presented a challenge.
Sage and I reached the Loop Trail fairly quickly; the ease of the trails and the refreshing drizzle kept both of us in good spirits. We were fairly soaked when we arrived, but we felt good -- there's nothing like a constant sprinkler on a humid summer's day. Of course, I had extra clothes with me and neither of us were wearing cotton; it's essential to dress appropriately and have the right layers when hiking in the rain, otherwise you risk hypothermia once a breeze starts to blow.
A quick view of North Hancock through the mist, from the above intersection.
We decided to do the loop clockwise. Up we went!
North Hancock: 4K number 30!
The trail between the peaks is fairly gentle. There's some moderately steep bits going down North Hancock, but other than that and a few moderate ups, the walk is quite easy.
South Hancock: 4K number 31!
We ate some chocolate and headed down...
It was a quick walk out. The total hike took just under six and a half hours, which is very close to adult book time. Sage's pace now matches Alex's; I need to get in shape or my girls will soon leave me in the dust.
- UP: REVIEWS and PRESS
- GraniteGals PODCAST
- Speaking Engagements/Nonprofit Fundraisers
- Alex in the White Mountains (Alex's hiking blog)
- Sage's White Mountain Treks (Sage's hiking blog)
- California's Lost Coast Trail. June 8-9, 2019
- England's Coast to Coast Trail 2018
- Cohos Trail 2017
- Iceland's Laugavegur Trail 2016
- Great Wall of China Trek 2015
- John Muir Trail 2014
- El Camino de Santiago 2013
- NH Four Thousand Footers (Alex and Sage)
- NH Four Thousand Footers -- WINTER (Alex and Sage)
- Trailwrights 72 (Alex and Sage)
- 52 With a View (Sage)
- The Terrifying Twenty-Five
- The White Mountain Grid