Again, many thanks to Marcy at (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish for the idea. This list is a variation of her 101 Things in 1001 Days.
This list represents dreams, hopes, curiosities, and responsibilities. The girls and I each contributed to this list; some of these ideas are Sage's, some are Alex's, and others are mine. Each of us will attempt to do every one of these things during the next four years. We'll report our progress on this blog every Thursday beginning December 2, 2011.
Here are the first 50 things, in no particular order.
1. Draw or paint a landscape.
2. Walk on the Great Wall of China.
3. Create something and sell it.
4. Night hike a New Hampshire Four Thousand Footer.
5. Gently capture a live spider and put it outside (the girls are facing their fears on this one).
6. Balance something (soft) on our dog's head for ten seconds (this could take all four years to accomplish...our dog never stays still).
7. Camp by a lake in Canada.
8. Go to a Broadway show (and have excellent seats!).
9. Organize a walk for charity.
10. Volunteer in a cat shelter.
11. Go sledding in the rain.
12. Make a cast out of a wild animal's footprint.
13. Go Christmas caroling.
14. Visit Prince Edward Island (we just finished reading Anne of Green Gables).
15. Volunteer at a homeless shelter.
16. Build and sleep in an igloo.
17. Visit Italy (Rome and Venice).
18. For one full day, eat only fruit.
19. Try all the types of cheese in the local grocery store.
20. Take a cruise.
21. Volunteer in a retirement community.
22. Enter a cake-baking contest.
23. Spend one day at each ski resort in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
24. Go to the top of the Empire State Building (the girls just watched King Kong).
25. Read all the books in our house (and weed through them!).
26. Finish highpointing all the states except Alaska, Washington and Oregon.
27. Have a dinner party once a month and invite friends.
28. Create an original dessert for a special occasion.
29. Finish every science/building kit in the house (and weed through them!).
30. Find a four leaf clover.
31. Watch all the educational DVDs in the house (and weed through them!).
32. Sleep in ten backcountry shelters.
33. Complete a hut to hut White Mountain traverse.
34. Attend a religious service at five significantly different places of worship (for educational purposes).
35. Create our own hiking list, name it, and create an appropriate patch.
36. Name our house and put the name on an original, hand-carved sign.
37. Cut down our own Christmas tree.
38. Visit Niagara Falls.
39. Start to seriously plan a hike of Kilimanjaro.
40. Be a street performer for a day.
41. Finish another established New Hampshire hiking list (52 With a View for Sage, Trailwrights for Alex (in addition to the winter 4Ks), I guess both 52 With a View and Trailwrights for me).
42. Find a rare plant or animal and take its picture.
43. Put $0.25 in every parking meter in the main shopping area of Plymouth, NH.
44. Participate in Seek the Peak -- in costume.
45. Design our own t-shirts.
46. Play every board and card game in the house (and weed through them!).
47. Visit five of the Ingalls Wilder sites (thanks to Kerri of Goodreads for the suggestion!).
48. Make cardboard swords and shields.
49. Paint and decorate glass bottles.
50. Tour a working chocolate factory.
I'll post the remaining 51 after Thanksgiving.
The girls and I look forward to tackling our new goals!
- UP: REVIEWS and PRESS
- GraniteGals PODCAST
- Speaking Engagements/Nonprofit Fundraisers
- Alex in the White Mountains (Alex's hiking blog)
- Sage's White Mountain Treks (Sage's hiking blog)
- California's Lost Coast Trail. June 8-9, 2019
- England's Coast to Coast Trail 2018
- Cohos Trail 2017
- Iceland's Laugavegur Trail 2016
- Great Wall of China Trek 2015
- John Muir Trail 2014
- El Camino de Santiago 2013
- NH Four Thousand Footers (Alex and Sage)
- NH Four Thousand Footers -- WINTER (Alex and Sage)
- Trailwrights 72 (Alex and Sage)
- 52 With a View (Sage)
- The Terrifying Twenty-Five
- The White Mountain Grid